Gone were the days where reading was just flipping through pages of a book. Modern technology has taken the traditional books and turn it into books that come to life! With interactive stories and activities that engage the most reluctant reader, these Magical Books has certainly been a game changer in traditional reading.
How do these magical books work?
You’ll first have to download the ‘Hippo Magic’ app from the Apple App store or Google Play store. Then follow these steps:
• Step 1: Open the app and press start (if any notification pops out requesting to allow microphone, camera – click allow)
• Step 2: Point the smart device at the front cover first and download the book title (for first time user only)
• Step 3: Any pages that you see the Hippo Magic Symbol , point the smart device to make it come alive!
Magical Book: Little Red Riding Hood
Let’s take Little Red Riding Hood as an example. First, you’ll be greeted by Little Red, who welcomes you and invites you to go further into the woods with her. Even at the beginning- just by its cover, you’ll already be amazed at how the sounds and visuals of the book come to life.
As you flip the book to the next page, you’ll come across the first interactive function that allows your child to explore the characters and interact with them. Here you can switch between the Little Red and the Big Bad Wolf. You can tickle them, make them jump, spin and so much more.
On the following page, Little Red walks through the forest, and you’ll be asked to help Little Red find her way by doing a little bit of colouring. It’s great because kids get to learn about colours too.
Next, you’ll be asked to point out items like Little Red’s basket, a picture frame, a ball and lamp which bring the whole room (in the book) to life.
At the end of the book, you even get to celebrate with all the main characters and play some music with them- which is a really fun way to end your reading time.
Function of the AR feature in AR books
Besides scanning the cover for the highlight of the story, colouring, finding objects, and playing music as highlighted in Little Red Riding Hood, other AR features in the Magical Books include:
- Swiping – to play and interact with the character
- Trace the words – allow children to learn how to write
- Tap the object and read for you – E.g. ABC, read the specific letter of words.
- Counting – count how many objects they have in the page (tap the screen)
- Story telling
Benefits of the Magical Books
- Tools to assist interaction between parent and kids - Instead of leaving your child to play on his/her device on their own, you can bond with them over this book!
- Improve the learning curve of younger children – Toddlers especially would benefit by learning colours, numbers, recognising objects and improve hand-eye coordination.
- Immerse in a virtually enhanced world which encourages them to use their imagination and discover the possibilities of the new world
- Encourage curiosity and imagination
- Encourage learners to be inventive and creative while learning and responding to augmented reality pages.
- Increased sense of engagement and sensory development in younger children.
The only problem is, your child would probably keep on wanting more and refuse for it to end. These Magical Books stimulate the need for cognitive stimulation in a child making reading far more fun and interesting.
On a personal note, I also believe that parents should alternate between AR books and normal books to show them that you can enjoy a book without a phone or a tablet. That being said, kids get bored pretty easily anyway, so it’s good to change it up once in a while. Plus, there are so many Magical Book titles to choose from, you’ll be spoilt for choices and can alternate between them too!
Magical Books Available at the Big Bad Wolf Book Sale KL 2019
That’s right! These Magical Books are available at the Big Bad Wolf Book Sale happening till 16th December in Mines International Exhibition & Convention Centre (MIECC). Titles that are available include:
- LET'S LEARN ALPHABET ABC
- LET'S LEARN COUNTING 123
- GOLDILOCKS AND THE THREE BEARS
- THE VELVETEEN RABBIT
- THE THREE LITTLE PIGS
- LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD
- LITTLE GIRAFFE'S BIG IDEA
- LITTLE BEAR'S BIG ADVENTURE
- ROAR! WENT THE LION
- I LOVE MY MOMMY
- THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
- WHEN I DREAM OF CHRISTMAS
- ABC FUN WITH MICKEY
- COUNTING FUN WITH MICKEY
- DISNEY FROZEN: A SLEEPOVER PARTY
- DISNEY WINNIE THE POOH: FUN WITH FIRST WORDS
Prices of these Magical Books are only RM15-RM18! A Must buy when you’re at the Big Bad Wolf Book Sale!
What if I missed the Big Bad Wolf Book Sale?
Don’t worry! These Magical Books are also available at BookXcess at Tamarind Square, Amcorp Mall, Fahrenheit88, The Starling & Sunsuria Forum.
You can also purchase the books online here.
Check out these links for more information on the Big Bad Wolf Book Sale, BookXcess or the Magical Books: